During Dr. Al-Arian's imprisonment from February 20, 2003 to September 2, 2008
He was transferred to 14 different prison facilities in 6 states including several transfers to the same prison. During most of that time he was in solitary confinement with 23-hr or 24-hr lockdowns including the first 41 months of his incarceration (from 2/20/03 to 7/6/06). In the last five months (4/11/08-9/2/08) when he was in the custody of the immigration authorities, he was transferred to 6 different prisons. The 14 different facilities were:
1. Orient Road Jail in Hillsborough County, Tampa, Florida.
2. Coleman Federal Penitentiary, Coleman, Florida.
3. Tallahassee Federal Correctional Facility, Tallahassee, Florida.
4. Atlanta Federal Prison Facility, Atlanta, Georgia.
5. Oklahoma Federal Correctional Complex, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
6. Coleman Federal Medium Correctional Facility, Coleman, Florida.
7. Northern Neck Regional Jail, Warsaw, Virginia.
8. Butner Federal Medical Correctional Facility, Butner, North Carolina.
9. Petersburg Federal Correctional Facility, Petersburg, Virginia.
10. Howard County Jail, Jessup, Maryland.
11. Hampton Roads Regional Jail, Portsmouth, Virginia.
12. Winchester Regional Jail, Winchester, Virginia.
13. Pamunkey Regional Jail, Pamunkey, Virginia.
14. Alexandria Detention Center, Alexandria, Virginia.